We are pleased to reveal the cover of our upcoming chapbook anthology ‘LOVE Words Gathered Vol.2’.
SUBMISSION CALL FALL 2020 (FOR 2021 PUBLICATION) – IS NOW CLOSED. Thank you to all those who submitted! We are reading and sending out response letters over the holidays.
Spread love! Be kind!
Gertrude’s Writing Room believes in the power of publishing! To honour the hard work, dedication, passion and bravery of the writers who attend workshops, classes and one-to-one sessions, we will publish an annual collection of writing by our students.This includes ANY session through Gertrude’s Writing Room – in Windsor or beyond and/or any session with Vanessa Shields.
- Anyone who has attended a writing workshop, class or one-to-one session at Gertrude’s Writing Room may submit.
- No previous publishing history is necessary.
- Only previously unpublished writing should be submitted.
Write about love. Any kind of love. Love for anyone. Love for anything. What is love? Why love? Where does love come from? How do you love? What do we learn from love?
Write poetry or prose. Write an essay. Write a short story. Write a journal entry. Write an article.
Just. Write. About. Love.
- Cover letter
- The writing
- Submission email
THE COVER LETTER
Include a cover letter as part of your submission that includes the following information:
- A two- or three-sentence biographical statement. Have fun with this!
- Your full mailing address, e-mail address and phone number.
- The title(s) of the piece(s) you are submitting.
- The genre of the piece(s) you are submitting (poetry, fiction, non-fiction).
- Include any links to personal websites/social media.
Ex. Cover Letter
My email address
My phone number
I am submitting the following:
3.Short story – Title & Word Count
I typically write using my laptop whilst sitting on the sofa in my living room. It’s important to me to write from my heart. My goal is to write the next ‘Vagina Monologues’ and enjoy the grand success of writing about important things and sharing them with the world.
Vanessa Shields. Poet. Novelist. Reader. Sleeper. Published. Still waiting to meet Tom Cruise.
CLASSIFIED AD: Writer, 40+, seeks publisher of poetry, novels and silly ramblings. I like chocolate and getting caught in the rain. http://www.vanessashields.com
- Send a maximum of 3 (three) pieces of writing totalling no more than 4 pages. (Ex. Two (2) poems = 2 pages, 1 scene = 1 page, 1 dialogue scene = 1 page. Total pages = 4.) Please try to submit more than one page of writing.
- Maximum length for fiction and creative non-fiction (includes any format of writing that is NOT poetry): 2,000 words.
- Do NOT submit previously published work.
- We ask that you let us know if your work is also submitted elsewhere, and, if it is accepted, to notify us right away.
- Poetry submission format: single-spaced, 12 pt font, bolded title, name and contact on each page.
- Prose submission format: double-spaced, 12 pt font, bolded title, name and contact on each page.
SUBMISSION EMAIL INFO
All submissions must be submitted to the following e-mail and received no later than midnight Monday, December 14th, 2020. (Deadline extended!)
In the subject line, please write: 2021 LOVE Submission – YOUR NAME (JOHNNY WRITEALOT)
In the email:
The Cover Letter in the body of the email.
ATTACH the writing in a docx OR google doc ONLY. (No RFT, no doc, no pdf.) Please include your FULL NAME in the file name. (ex. JOHNNYWRITEALOT_POETRYSUBMISSION)
Our first annual chapbook is available for purchase!
Copies are $15.00 each.
To order a copy(ies), please email email@example.com with the following info: # of copies, full name, mailing address.
Payments can be made to the above email via etransfer. Thank you for supporting local writers and a local small business!
Art created and cover designed by Alley Biniarz.