POETRY CIRCLE 2022 – February Registration Open!
After six months of solid sold-out poetry circles, we’ve made a few slight changes to our format to accommodate COVID restrictions as well as to offer the best feedback opportunities for the poets.
Slight Change #1: Attendance
We realize that a smaller number of gathered poets makes for a more diverse, engaged, magical and vulnerable sharing of the circle. Therefore, both in-person and virtual poetry circles will be limited to a total of six (6) poets (including the leader). Poets will register ahead of time as per usual, but can only register for one circle at a time. Registration works on a first-contact basis. Registration for the next circle opens as soon as the current circle is complete.
Slight Change #2: Virtual Circles
For our January/February poetry circle, we will be meeting via Zoom. As cases in our area continue to climb, we feel more comfortable meeting virtually in January/February. We will use zoom and poets can fully engage with cameras and mics on. We will still share the poems so we can see/read them together. The maximum poets in attendance will still be six (6).
Slight Change #3: Cost Increase
We are increasing the cost of the poetry circle to $15.00 (that’s a $5.00 increase). This is to accommodate payments for our special guest poets. We appreciate your commitment to supporting payment for their time and expertise!
About the Poetry Circle
Once a month, on the second Saturday from 10am to 12noon, join us for a gathering of poetic bliss! Led by Gertrude’s Writing Room owner, Vanessa Shields, and special guest poets from Windsor and beyond, this poetry circle is a round-robin, salon-style gathering where we will read and offer gentle and inspiring feedback on each other’s poetry. If we each get to share our two poems, we will give you prompts to write a new poem!
*PLEASE NOTE: All circles are subject to change based on pandemic updates and gathering guidelines. You will be notified of any changes.
COST: $15.00 PER PERSON – Pay cash upon arrival or e-transfer to email@example.com. Please only pay via e-transfer once your spot is confirmed. If the session is virtual, please pay via etransfer BEFORE the circle. *There is a slight increase to the cost to help pay our amazing poet leaders!
REGISTRATION is on a first-register, first-serve basis. Maximum of six (6) poets (including leader).
Here’s how to register:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘POETRY CIRCLE REGISTRATION’ in the subject line.
- Include in your email, your full name, contact number, and two of your poems as a pdf and/or word document (.docx). Please let us know if you’d like us to print out your poems or if you will bring 10 copies for sharing.
- Include the date of the poetry circle you’d like to attend. Registration for the next poetry circle opens when the current one is complete.
- You will receive an email letting you know if you are confirmed for attendance, and the zoom link if the circle is virtual.
POETRY CIRCLE FEEDBACK GUIDELINES
- Gertrude’s Writing Room is a safe, hate-free, inclusive space for all. Please be kind.
- All conversations, sharing and writing is confidential.
- Offering and receiving feedback is essentially born out of a conversation that is compassionate, thoughtful and motivational.
- Here are some questions to consider asking yourself before offering feedback: How does the poem make me feel? What is your favourite part of the poem? Does the poetry provoke you in any way – how or why? What did you learn from this poem? Does this poem remind you of other poetry you’ve written?
- Here are some things to consider when receiving feedback: I’m the writer, so I get the final word; this is conversation about writing, process and learning how to better my writing; these are suggestions to consider.
POETRY CIRCLE POET SCHEDULE
Saturday, January 8, 2022 – Via Zoom
Leader: Vanessa Shields
Saturday, February 12, 2022
Double Session on Zoom
10am – 12pm – featuring Marty Gervais
3pm – 5pm – featuring Vanessa Shields
Saturday, March 12, 2022
Saturday, April 9, 2022
Saturday, May 14, 2022
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.William Wordsworth