Once a month, on the second Saturday from 10am to 12noon, join us for a gathering of poetic bliss! Led by Windsor’s Poets Laureate, Mary Ann Mulhern, Youth Poet Laureate, Alexei Andrei Ungurenasu, Poet Laureate Emeritus, Marty Gervais, and Gertrude’s Writing Room owner, Vanessa Shields, this poetry circle is a round-robin, salon-style gathering where we will read and offer gentle and inspiring feedback on each other’s poetry. If we each get to share our two poems, we will give you prompts to write a new poem!
*PLEASE NOTE: All circles are subject to change based on pandemic updates and gathering guidelines. You will be notified of any changes.
COST: $10.00 PER PERSON – Pay cash upon arrival or e-transfer to email@example.com. Please only pay via e-transfer once your spot is confirmed.
REGISTRATION is on a first-register, first-serve basis. Maximum of 8 writers (including leader).
Here’s how to register:
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with ‘POETRY CIRCLE REGISTRATION’ in the subject line.
- Include in your email, your full name, contact number, and two of your poems as a pdf and/or word document (.docx). Please let us know if you’d like us to print out your poems or if you will bring 10 copies for sharing.
- Include the date of the poetry circle you’d like to attend. You can register for more than one at a time, however, please let us know as soon as you can if you are unable to attend after you’ve registered. This way we can open up the spot again.
- You will receive an email letting you know if you are confirmed.
POETRY CIRCLE FEEDBACK GUIDELINES
- Gertrude’s Writing Room is a safe, hate-free, inclusive space for all. Please be kind.
- All conversations, sharing and writing is confidential.
- Offering and receiving feedback is essentially born out of a conversation that is compassionate, thoughtful and motivational.
- Here are some questions to consider asking yourself before offering feedback: How does the poem make me feel? What is your favourite part of the poem? Does the poetry provoke you in any way – how or why? What did you learn from this poem? Does this poem remind you of other poetry you’ve written?
- Here are some things to consider when receiving feedback: I’m the writer, so I get the final word; this is conversation about writing, process and learning how to better my writing; these are suggestions to consider.
POETRY CIRCLE POET SCHEDULE
Saturday, September 11, 2021
Circle Leaders: Vanessa Shields, Marty Gervais, Mary Ann Mulhern, Alexei Ungurenasu
Saturday, October 9, 2021
Circle Leaders: Mary Ann Mulhern, Vanessa Shields
Saturday, November 13, 2021
Circle Leader: Alexei Ungurenasu
Saturday, December 11, 2021
Circle Leader: Marty Gervais
Fill your paper with the breathings of your heart.William Wordsworth